Children’s Choruses Director
Duration: Part-time, permanent
Opera Idaho (OI) is a level 4 (budget < $1,000,000) opera company and the only professional opera company of its kind in Idaho. Located in Boise, OI celebrates its 45rd consecutive season in 2017/18 with a mainstage season of three operas plus three à la carte productions. In 2009 OI moved into its new performance home, the restored Egyptian Theatre, long popular in the community for its unique architecture, location and selection to the National Register of Historic Places; OI also performs at The Morrison Center on the campus of Boise State University. The principal place of business for OI is its facility in downtown Boise as part of the Esther Simplot Performing Arts Academy, which also has facilities for Ballet Idaho and the Boise Philharmonic. The facility houses the company’s offices, rehearsal studio and meeting rooms.
The Opera Idaho Children’s program was founded in 1993 under Director Linda Berg, who directed the program for most of its years until her passing in October 2015. The program currently consists of two choruses: Angelus (1st – 4th-graders) & Children’s (4th – 10th-graders). In addition to filling the needs in some operas for children’s choruses and solo roles, the chorus presents its own concerts and productions. In March 2015, the Children’s Chorus presented the holocaust opera Brundibar at The Egyptian Theatre. The choruses often perform in community outreach at events such as Festival of Trees. A summer opera camp is held in June.
OI seeks a Children’s Choruses Director. This position reports to the General Director and is responsible under the guidance of the General Director for planning, implementing and administering all aspects of the OI Children’s Choruses program. The position is assisted by an Education Manager. Duties include:
• Audition singers as necessary (currently twice a year)
• Plan and choose repertoire
• Hire and manage a regular accompanist and arrange for substitutes and other instrumentalists as needed
• With OI staff plan concerts, tours and other performances and arrange venues as necessary
• Conduct rehearsals and performances
• Assist in promotion of the Children’s Choruses by participating in interviews, etc.
• With OI’s Education Manager, annually prepare a Children’s Choruses budget in a timely fashion.
In addition to performing the roles specified above, the Director will:
• Assist OI’s General Director and Artistic Administrator in artistic planning, as requested and as able, especially as it relates to other Education and Outreach programs
• Attend monthly OI expanded staff meetings
• Other duties as mutually agreed upon
Candidates must be self-motivated and have strong interpersonal skills, excellent organizational ability, superior communication skills, creative strategic planning skills and a minimum of three years of relevant experience with demonstrable results in similar organizations.
Compensation: commensurate with experience
Start date: August 2017
Please send cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to:
Opera Idaho, 513 S 8th St, Boise, ID 83702 ● firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Only individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Opera Idaho is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law.